Rustic Altar at St. Augustine

Rustic Altar at St. Augustine

Friday, March 2, 2012

Let them eat cake!

Well, cupcakes, anyway.  The highlight of the day was making cupcakes.  Tonight we went to our first ever Lenten fish fry (as a family, I went to some back in Buffalo when the oldest was in utero).  Our church holds a fish fry every Friday during the Lenten season.  It is so different converting to Catholicism in the south, at least in this area where it seems that being Catholic is quite unusual.  I have lived in many cities where there are several Catholic churches.  The last time I went a fish fry, the big deal was to find out which church/meeting place had the best one.  The VFW was by far the best.  Here, we only have on Catholic Church in our town.  We pass many other churches on the way from our house to our parish, but none are Catholic.  I did see a sign for Checkers Fish Bites Box on a billboard, but I haven't seen many other food items put out especially for those observing Lent. 

Our parish isn't very large, at least it seems like the volunteers that put on things like the fish fry are the ones that organize most things.  So going to a function, I am sure to see the same people, and it always makes me smile inside and I relish this feeling of belonging to a community.  It is nice to walk in and see the girls catechism teachers, or women from the CCW.  I am getting to know them, and they are getting to know me and I believe it won't be long before I am recruited in. 

Anyway, back to cake.  The women's group sent an email letting us know that it would be greatly appreciated to bring in cupcakes for the fish fry.  The dinner includes fish, fries, coleslaw, bread, and grits (I think this is a southern thing as well.  We eat them for breakfast frequently, but haven't had them with something like fish before).   Also a drink and dessert are included in the price.  We missed the fish fry last week, but I thought since we were planning on going tonight, we'd bring some cupcakes.

Hannah and Sophia are my little bakers, so they baked the cupcakes and I decorated them.  I bought a new icing bag and tips just for this, and then I ended up printing off some little toppers to go on as well.  The girls assembled the toppers and watched with delight while I piped on tons of icing.  We put them in the carrier and couldn't wait to take them.

It is funny how something small as contributing cupcakes brings such appreciation, and how good it made us feel to be able to contribute.  Again, it's that sense of community that we are feeling, and it feels good. 

So now I believe we will be making cupcakes every week to bring along.  I am a big dork and I spent some time this evening coming up with different decorating ideas and things I can make to put on top.  I can't wait until the next time so we can bring some more. I think it will be a great service project for the girls and I to participate in together.  I plan on getting the younger two involved next time. 

Oh, and the fish fry was out of this world.  Everyones plates were empty and we walked away with full bellies and hearts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment