Rustic Altar at St. Augustine

Rustic Altar at St. Augustine

Friday, February 24, 2012

Sometimes I have to remind myself...

This morning, I re-pinned something on pinterest that is really fitting to my current path.  (I have not given up pinterest for Lent, as I don't see it as a social media since it is just for things that I want to keep track of.)

It was one of those inspirational type quotes.  It said:

Sometimes I have to remind myself that I don't have to do what everyone else is doing.

I see what looks like fads all the time on facebook, and in real life too, but since this blog is all about not doing facebook for 40 days, I will focus on that.  It seems like the same things go around, the same pictures get shared, quotes, videos, news articles, etc.  There are fads that range from clothing/accessory styles, parenting, crafting, eating styles, photography, and the list goes on. 

Don't get me wrong, these are not bad things.  It is a great place for sharing ideas, for what works, and for new recipes, ways to eat healthier, music to listen to, books to read, really a plethora of things.  It is so easy though, at least for me, to get caught up in the whole "well, everyone else is doing this so..." thing.

Not being on facebook, well, I am not seeing what everyone else is doing.  This is a good thing for me.  Instead, I am doing what I enjoy doing, and I am influenced only by those close to me and who are around me and who are present in my life.  If I have a problem, I need to come up with a solution to it on my own.  I have realized that on a social media network like facebook, it is so easy to let others do the thinking for me.  Now I am re-learning how to think on my own.

It is funny, with the cutting down of electriconics, I have become more conversational with my family.  I feel like I am more present in my home, if that makes sense.  Not that I was neglecting my home, more like I was neglecting myself and my own inner thoughts and feelings.

I have completed my to do list, and then some, and I have actually spent a lot of the day just sitting, listening to the happy sounds of my kids, and reading.  It is nice doing what I want, with no regards to what everyone else is doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment